Easy Three-Layer Mint Chocolate Brownies
Updated: May 5, 2019
Whether you're getting ready for tomorrow's St. Patty's Day festivities, or you're simply craving mint chocolate (which is me 24/7), you'll LOVE these delicious, easy mint chocolate fudge brownies! These are sure to get you into the spirit of the holiday, and only take around an hour between prep time and baking. Warning: they're seriously addicting.
Recipe by Lauren Allen
For the Brownies:
- 4 oz of unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate I bought from my local grocery store)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups sugar
For the Mint Frosting:
- A few drops of Green food coloring (depending on how dark/rich you want the green color to be)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (I used a little less because I ran out, and I was ok!)
- 4 tablespoons butter, heat in microwave low until softer/at room temp
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the Chocolate Fudge Layer on Top:
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips (around 1 cup)
Instructions (3 Parts):
Part 1: Brownie Batter (bottom layer)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Chop the butter and chocolate into small chunks and put in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl.
3. Microwave until all melted together. 30 second intervals on low power with stirring in between. It's okay if it looks watery when it's completely melted. Set aside to cool.
4. Take a large bowl and beat together the eggs, vanilla extract, & sugar. While stirring, slowly add the melted chocolate.
5. Next, add the flour and baking powder in slowly until it becomes a batter. Be cautious not to over mix. And although it looks tempting to try, the unsweetened baker's chocolate may not provide you with taste you were expecting. Don't fret, though!
6. Pour the batter into the already-greased pan, and make sure to spread it around so that it's well-distributed and reaches each corner.
7. The original recipe suggests 20-30 minutes, but my magic number was 27. Make sure to check it after the 20 minute mark periodically by sticking a toothpick in the middle. If it's clean- BRAVO, it's DONE! If not, put it back in for a little while longer.
8. When it's ready, take it out to cool for 20-30 minutes.
Part 2: Mint Frosting (middle layer)
While the brownies are in the oven, we have some work to do!
1. Combine all of the frosting ingredients (in whatever order you choose) and beat together until fluffy. If you want a thinner frosting, add more milk. I found that 2 tablespoons was perfect for me.
2. Once the brownies have cooled for 20-30 mins outside the over, spread over evenly.
3. Refrigerate while you make the glaze so that this mint layer hardens a bit.
Part 3: Chocolate Fudge Glaze (top layer)
We're almost there!
1. Take another medium-sized microwave-safe bowl and pour in the chocolate chips and chopped butter.
2. At a low power level, microwave for 30-second intervals with stirring in between until melted together smoothly.
3. Allow the fudge to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Take out the brownies and spread the glaze on top.
5. Return to refrigerator to harden.
6. Let them sit at room temp for 10 minutes before serving.
7. Enjoy! <3