Updated: Dec 3, 2019
Hi lovelies!! Happy Fall! I hope that everyone's having an amazing November, whether that means enjoying pumpkin-spice-everything, getting a head start on holiday gift shopping, or watching the leaves change color. It's such a fun time of the year and there is just SO much to do to bring in the season! Recently I've been asked a lot about my makeup, so I wanted to come on here and make a post listing all of the products I'm currently using + my steps to achieving a flawless, healthy look. It's taken me quite a while to master a set routine & to figure out what works the best with my face, but I finally feel like I've gotten it down. Keep reading for my makeup routine tips and tricks <3
So before we get into it, I've got two big secret to share with you. The 1st is that almost all of the makeup I use is from the DRUGSTORE, and the 2nd is that money does not necessarily equal quality (in my opinion). I have searched far and wide, aisle upon aisle, for years hoping to find products that would help me to achieve a natural, airbrushed look and let me tell ya, it was not found with really any of the products I purchased for over $30. That's not to say that there aren't a lot of amazing products from expensive brands because there definitely are!! But if you're buying it just because it's a name-brand, then you may run into some issues like I did. While I kept convincing myself that the prestige brands were sure to be the "magic in a bottle" products, both my wallet and my skin suffered.
My now-staple foundation is just $5 and allows me to save & spend a little extra money on things that can actually help my skin, like skincare products that may be a bit pricier. I now invest more in skincare rather than makeup because makeup only accentuates beauty, it does not create it, so the best way for that to work is to be sure that our canvas is in its best possible shape to work with. When your face is clear, hydrated, brightened, and smoothed, makeup will look its best on top of the skin-- skincare is a very important factor in all of this, and we can't expect makeup to take away the undesirable ...BUT we'll save my skincare routine for next time hehe. Below I'm listing EVERYTHING for you that I use in my makeup routine: my makeup products, makeup application tools, and the makeup tips that I swear by. So sit back, relax, and let me give you the DL ;)
My Makeup Products
1. Face Primer: First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Skin Smoothie Primer ($28, I use on my forehead and cheeks) NYX Angel Veil Primer ($9.99, I use under my eyes and throughout my T-Zone)
3. Concealer: Maybelline Age Rewind Eye Concealer in shade "Fair/Clair" ($4.99)
4. Face powder: Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder in shade "Naturally Neutral" ($4.49) and Milani Prep + Set + Glow Illuminating Face Powder ($9.99)
5. Bronzer: L'Oreal True Match Lumi Bronzer is shade "Light" ($11.52)
6. Blush: Milani Baked Blush in shade "Luminoso" ($9.49)
7. Highlighter: Essence Pure Nude Highlighter ($4.49) and ColourPop Super Shock Highlighter in shade "Lunch Money" ($8)
8. Brows: Benefit Precisely, My Brow Pencil Ultra-Fine Shape & Define in "#6" ($24) and NYX Control Freak Eyebrow Gel in "Clear" ($3.99)
9. Eyeshadow/Top Eyeliner: E.l.f. Mad For Matte Eyeshadow Palette ($10 but I got from TJ Maxx for $4)
10. Bottom Eyeliner: E.l.f. Lock On Liner And Brow Enhancer Cream ($3)
11. Mascara: Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara ($4.99) and Covergirl Exhibitionist Mascara in "Very Black" ($7.99)
12. Setting Mist: Morphe Continuous Setting Mist ($16) and Catrice Prime & Fine Dewy Glow Finishing Spray- Illuminating ($7.99)
13. Lipstick: bareminerals Gen Nude Liquid Lipstick in shade "Slay" ($19)
My Makeup Tools
1. Makeup Sponge: AOA Wonder Blender "Black Teardrop" ($1)
2. Makeup Brush Set: BH Cosmetics Signature Rose Gold Brush Set with 13 brushes ($26)
My Five Best Makeup Tips
1. Want the best application with your foundation? Use a brush first and then a damp beauty sponge. (Make sure it's damp so that it won't soak up all of your product). This will help to give you the best, most even coverage!
2. Try out a bunch of face primers with your foundation before you judge it & stash it away in the black hole of unused makeup. Primer can completely change how foundations, powders, and concealers appear on the skin. Especially under the eyes and in places with wrinkles and texture!
3. You may need different primers for different parts of your face, and that's ok!! For me, the skin in my T-zone, under my eyes, and on my cheeks is all super different and requires different attention. I've found that my T-zone (mostly my nose) needs a pore-filling primer, while my under eye area needs a smoothing primer, and the rest of my face needs hydration. Find what works for you and try it out in different areas.
3. Moisturize, prime, and then apply your makeup. If you find that this clogs your pores and is just too much moisture for your skin, try spritzing your skin with Mario Badescu's Facial Spray. It's a light mist but extremely hydrating and perfect to use before primer.
4. After setting your face with a setting mist (I do it twice in my routine), use a fan and a beauty sponge to press the makeup gently into the skin as it dries down. This will ensure its longevity and takes away the cakey and/or powdery look.
5. If you use a face hair removal product beforehand to remove peach fuzz, your foundation is going to look 10x better than it ever has. I can't even describe how much of a difference this had made for me! Ever since I started doing this regularly, multiple people have asked if I'm wearing any foundation when I have a full face of makeup on. It's crazy!
I hope that I've encouraged you either to reevaluate some products that you already have or to try ones that you haven't, because sometimes the true gems are found where we least expect them. As both a blogger and a writer, I want to provide perspective and any lessons I've learned along the way...things I wish I had known sooner! One of my goals for this post is to remind you to not judge a book by its cover; cliche, yes, but so important, especially within the realm of social media where it can get overwhelming with new products & recommendations. I was searching in all of the wrong places because the drugstore brands weren't on my radar, and now I can't imagine myself without these products.
I'd love to know what YOUR makeup tips and tricks are & what's in YOUR makeup routine so make sure to comment down below or message me! Thanks for reading :)